Students will know the rules of the pronunciation of past form “ed”.
Students can pronounce the past form “ed” and speak in a correct way.
Students are able to boost their interest and confidence of speaking English.
Key and difficult points:
To know the rules of pronunciation of past form “ed”.
To foster their cooperative ability by participating activities in class actively.
Step 1: Warming-up
2. Show a video of the development of computer. Then tell the students that today we will learn a man who had made a great contribution of the development of computer and lead in the topic.
Step 2: Presentation
1. Read the passage to students. Before my reading, ask students to pay attention to the pronunciation of past form “ed” in each word. After that, ask students to have a discussion and invite some of them to share.
2. Then introduce the rules of the pronunciation of the past form “ed” in different phonetic contexts.
a. ”ed” is pronounced as /t/ when it is after voiceless consonants.
b. ”ed” is pronounced as/d/ when it is after voiced consonants or vowels
c. ”ed” is pronounced as/id/ when it is after two consonants /t/, /d/.
Step 3: Practice
1. Mechanical drilling: ask students to listen and read the passage again and pay attention to the pronunciation of the past form “ed”
2. Meaningful drilling: show some pictures on the screen and ask students to describe them by using past tense.
Step 4: Post-listening
Ask students to introduce their idol’s experience by using past tense in group of 4. 5 minutes will be given for discussion. Then invite some groups to share.
Step 5: Summary and Homework
Summary: invite some students to retell the rules of the pronunciation of the past form “ed”.
Homework: write a story that happened in the past and then share the story with all the students next class.
1. How to make students be more interested in learning English?
Interest is very important for learning, we can use the following methods.
First of all, we can use diversified teaching aid such as multi-media equipment and pictures. These methods can effectively increase interest and attractiveness of students. Second, we can improve students oral English and ability of communication and cooperation by means of group discussion, survey, role play, dialogue and games. By organizing diversified classroom activities, they can get involved actively and the atmosphere can be aroused. Besides, we can make students enjoy the fun of English by organizing English corner, recommending movies. We need to improve our teaching ability, keep smiling and always be humorous. We can use various scientific and effective teaching methods to increase student’s confidence of learning English.
In this way, we can arouse students’ interest and make them truly love English.
2. Can you introduce your college life?
My life in college was meaningful.
I majored in English. I have had a good command of English after the 4-year study. After finishing all the compulsory courses such as English grammar, reading, writing, pronunciation, literature, cross-cultural communication and so on, I participated in a lot of contests. For example, the English speech contest, and I won the first place in the speech contest of the school. These experiences trained my ability in public speech and made me qualified for being a teacher.
I am now eager to apply my knowledge to practice. I believe that what I’ve got in the college will be of great help to my career life.